Monday, November 12, 2007

It came in (one) 'piece'........my experience at a Parisian Post Office


Well this morning I had a letter in my mail box (in French) from the
post office....I saw the word 'object' which led me to believe I had a
package!

(exciting)

SO....after standing in line for twenty minutes and not moving more
then a foot I left only to return two and a half hours later to only
stand back in a similar area. With baguette in hand and frozen foods
defrosting in my bag I toughed up for another half and hour to get up
to the clerk at the desk.

So the clerk goes behind the desk and about five plus minutes later
she arrives with a disheveled box that looks like it has been around
more of the world then I have. Literally...the corners on this box
are non-existent at this point. So she places this item that was once
a box on the counter in front of me and pulls out a paper for me to
sign. BUT THEN she gives me some whole speel (spelling) in French
which I understand mainly....ah....NOTHING......I tell her I do not
understand and she decides to try to make things easier for me to
understand by redoing the whole talk in basic French...Do I
understand?....um...nope.

All in all after the third talk I understand that I have to go open
the package and decided if I want to keep it or not, and claim if
anything is broken. At this point I am thinking to myself, "Lady I
don't really give a damn if anything is broken, I just want to get out
of here so all the French people in line behind me stop staring at my
demented box and the silly girl that can't speak French." So I walk
around the corner and I go and pretend to open the item, claim that
the items inside are chocolate and sign my name next to what I think
says "accept" in French. So I turn around and start to
think...."Blast! Do I have to get back into that darn line?!?!?!"
Thankfully I didn't.....BUT then she starts asking me more in
French.....what the heck....I signed your darn papers!!!!! She was
asking me if anything was broken.....which took her about 45 seconds
of me giving her a confused look in lack of comprehension to tell me
in English what she was saying. So I learned the French word "broken"
(which of coarse I forget right now).

I scurry on home to actually open the item and find a parcel full of
Halloween candy (pumpkin candy corn....yum) that cost my parents $36
to send to arrive two weeks late, cost me my nerve for the day and to
teach me a new word in French which I don't remember

So that is my crazy experience at the French post office.

No comments: